Announced just a few days ago, Canon’s new and improved ‘Nifty Fifty’ is here. Since it is an update, you’d expect the price point to reflect that, but Canon has kept it at almost the same price point. The list of improvements is long and long overdue. The new STM motor has quicker and quieter AF for both stills and video. Also, the focus ring has been moved to the front of the lens making it more manual-focus-friendly.
And to all of the portrait photographers and bokeh lovers, the new 50mm f/1.8 STM lens features a seven-bladed circular aperture that will help produce better overall bokeh. Here are the new specs:
- Canon STM gear type stepping motor technology provides quiet autofocusing to support Canon’s EOS Movie Servo AF function
- Improved exterior design (focus ring placement)
- New metal mount for stability and ruggedness
- Super Spectra Coating for minimized ghosting and flaring
- Circular seven-blade aperture
- 14-inch minimum focusing distance
- 0.21x maximum magnification
To be honest, this is a great upgrade from the current 50mm f/1.8. For $125, this is a great deal with a major build and image quality improvements.
Right now, you can pre-order the lens on B&H for $125. It should begin shipping at the end of this month, so you won’t be waiting for what seems like forever for it.
What do you thin about the new Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM lens? Surprised? Bored? Let us know what you think in the comment section below!
IE Photo Rentals
558 W. 2nd St, Unit B
Pomona, CA 91766
Camera and Lens Rental Service for Inland Empire, Los Angeles and Orange County Areas.